Sunday 10 April 2011

Album of the month

Ye, ye, yea. It's that time again. I hope ya'll enjoyed that little preview I gave you. Now without further ado best hip hop album of March is:

Reks - R.E.K.S. (Rhythmatic Eternal King Supreme)

When I first heard Reks' 'Grey Hairs' I thought it was good, then he came back with 'More Grey Hairs' and that was equally as dope, but when Reks came out with R.E.K.S. I thought daaaamn.. He is like a good Whiskey that gets better with time. I listened to his album back to back tens of times and one track in particular, I listened to like a hundred times. But I'll come back to that later.

Reks is a Boston rapper, and if you like Statik Selektah, Freeway, Termanology, Pete Rock, DJ Premier and dope hip hop in general, then you'll definitely love Reks.
All the names I just mentioned are featured on the album along with Hi-Tek, Sha Money XL, The Alchamist, Styles P, Nottz, Blaze P. The album was released by Showoff Records on March 8th.

The way he talks about everything and everyone from the past couple of years is executed amazingly, especially lyrically, but I have to give a shout out to all the producers. Let's take a look at some of the things he says:

'Limelight' is a track about how wonderful it is to be amongst glorious stars, but in an ironic way (click here to listen while you read on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_udqz-V7RPM ). He mentions couple of artist, industry people, newest technologies etc.

"excuse me niki would you please minaj me
and quickly I promise not to bring eric with me"

"Gotta make the money so somebody remembers me
Lyrics ain’t gonna cut it fuck it I can just simply
Sell out to sell out crowds with a recipe
I see my destiny, star on a boardwalk
Grammy night, walkin my family down the red carp
Simon cowell, next american idol is reks, dog"

"Twitter twitter, oh how i love my tweet...

A nigga feel glad cause technology is sweet.
Come follow me on facebook even if we never speak."
"ipod CHECK, iPhone CHECK, iPad YES, Iraq's NEXT"

The track is full of good lines, he even talks about Kanye taking the stage at he MTV Awards, if you didn't get it then Google lyrics or re-listen to the track.

Next track 'Kill Em' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0pblV-fGG8) is talking about how the industry is killing the talent. He cleverly mentions underground artists saying stuff like:

"Off with these rappers heads, Termanology DEAD, Slaughterhouse talking about how my eyes see read, why let them live, i kill em..." "Statik hurry lets get this track quick fantastic.. I fucking hate dope rappers, if you ain't made it big I'm killing you.. These days we got whips and bitches in a video. Little Brother DEAD.."

Deep slow jams like 'This Is Me' feat. DJ Corbet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbuaKpm6lsI) and'Mr. Nobody' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOV9m4nIQvI) talk about Reks growing up and how hard it all was. These tracks are for all you ladies and fellas out there that like a bit of R&B singing.

'Cigarettes' feat. Lil Fame (from M.O.P.) & Attica Barz (video from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upaiw6VMRYs) is for all you cigarette and weed smokers out there, one of my favorite lines is "homie told me I should quit smoking, I took a pull and said quit joking - I'm stressed." And to be fair I've never even heard a track like this before. If you have then leave a comment down below.

The whole album is so SO dope and I definitely recommend you to get your hands on to this'fresh2death' copy or just check the tracks on YouTube and you'll see that it's a must have album! Reks says in his last track 'Like A Star': "I eat any instrumental, but my sons can't eat beats..", so show some support and bring hip hop back to golden era status.

Lastly I would like to leave you with my favorite track on the album 'This Or That'. I have literally listened to it over hundred times and still can't get enough. Shout out to Statik Selektah for a monster beat, shout out to Jon Wolf for the video and my hat off to the great Reks for the lyrics and delivery.(here's a link to the lyrics: http://lyrics.duble.com/this-or-that-lyrics-reks.html) Now listen to this and as Reks says: "You are now in tune to the facts, Reks the black Aristotle":



My rating for the album: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment